Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Non-NAS Drives in Synology

Hi All,

I searched around a bit, and even saw a similar question on the forum, but I'm going to be more specific with my question.
(here's a like to the closest match: https://ask.nascompares.com/showthread.p...ue#pid9353)

NAS = ds1621+
3/6 bays filled with WD Red Plus 10TB (RAID 1 with 1 hot spare)
Upgrade budget: $0.00

I'm still a NAS noob and have only had my NAS for a few weeks.  But I've spent lots of hours researching, watching boatloads of nascompares videos, etc.  I know I shouldn't use non-nas drives in the NAS.

BUT, same as question above, I have lots of drives laying around not getting used, most are mixed, but I do have a pair of 2TB WD Blue 2.5" SATA SSDs.  I spun up my first VM, Ubuntu desktop 22.04, and went with the lite install option.  It's excruciatingly slow with 1GB RAM and assigned 4 cores.  I'm also a VM noob, aside from having used them before, I've never had my own.  I got the idea in my head that I could take the 2x WD blues out of my gaming tower and pop them in the NAS, in hopes the VM would operate faster.

Will this kill these SSD's really quickly since they're not designed for 24/7 operation?  Part of me says "nah, it'll be fine, what's the difference between being in the NAS running a VM or two vs in a PC tower running 24/7?".  With my first baby almost here, my budget is whatever I have laying around the house.

Thanks,
Mike
Certainly, SSD will work much faster compared to HDDs. But also consider adding more RAM.
Do not worry about wearing out those SSD. Only used as a cache would wear them out.