Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacement for Drobo 5N

Hi. Ive used a drobo for years that needs urgent replacment due to current ventura issue. Ive used 4 TB on it, large photo collection for personal and business, with many files. I use plex server for music only. I have no current structure to the many 1000#s of photos, and am considering qnaps Qmagie. I need photos structure (facial recognition etc), plex, backup stores (Time machine), equivalent to beyond raid, different profile user access for family members and work to give separate storage for each of them. Assuming qnap, what would be best for me? Fast access and processing across 1Gb CAT6 network. I would reuse the drives from the drobo. Plesae advise whether i need any extra drives for better speed/access etc. Any help would be gratefully recieved, models or options? Thanks
Based on your requirements, a QNAP NAS with the Qmagie app would be a good option for you. Qmagie can provide facial recognition and other organization features for your large photo collection. You can also use the NAS to host a Plex server for your music and set up separate user profiles for family members and work. Additionally, you can use Time Machine to set up backup storage on the NAS.

In terms of the hardware, you can reuse the drives from your Drobo and add them to the QNAP NAS. However, it is recommended to use hard drives with similar capacity and speed for optimal performance. For fast access and processing across a 1 Gb/s CAT6 network, you should consider a QNAP NAS with a powerful processor and plenty of RAM. Some specific models that you can consider are TS-464. Synology DS920+/ 923+ would allow drive mixing with different sizes.

It is also recommended to use 10Gbe network card in the NAS to have faster data transfer.
Please note that it is always a good idea to check the compatibility of your existing drives with the new NAS before purchasing.