Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS920+ or DS923+

Hi,

First of all, you are the best, I think you are the best content creator for this specific topic.

Currently I have a DS216j working with 2x2tb (raid 1), I bought 2x16tb in order to increase my media management, but since I will be starting from zero, I thought I should future proof my solution.

At the moment, I only use my NAS for data management and Plex. Plex is not a big issue since I have one of those really old lcd tvs (maybe it runs max 1080p), but I'd like to upgrade to a 4k in the future. All my media is being downloaded on 1080p since there is no reason to have 4k if I don't have a 4k TV.
Also, I'm planning to host a few minecraft and zomboid servers, therefore I will be using a few dockers.

I'm looking to either buy a DS920+ or DS923+, but the transcoding part got me confused. I've been reading a lot about it, but for me still not clear if I will be having an issue with 1080p files being streamed on a 1080p tv, or if I upgrade to a 4k tv, I will be having problems with a 1080p files.

Could you just tell me what should I just buy? thank you
Based on your usage, the Synology DS920+ or DS923+ would be good options for your NAS setup. Both models are powerful enough to handle data management, Plex, and running servers like Minecraft and Zomboid.

As for transcoding, it is the process of converting media files from one format to another so that they can be played on different devices. In your case, if you are currently streaming 1080p media on a 1080p TV, transcoding is not necessary as the files are already compatible with your TV. If you plan to upgrade to a 4K TV in the future nothing will change. You can stream 4k or lower-resolution videos just fine as long as it is done locally.
Remote 4k access it issue with ds923+. This is why people choose 920+ for remote 4k access via Video app. Plex 4k transcoding remotely would require qnap 674 series NAS.