Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS 923 or 1522

Hello, I am interested in buying a NAS for a small business (3 people) that will be used for online work and also for personal use. The features that I am looking for include real-time communication, spreadsheet and project management, data backup for Mac, Android, and iPhone, file server and synchronization, multimedia hub for videos and music, email server, and VPN.

From my research so far, I am leaning towards the Synology DS1522+ (or DS923+), 4X Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8TB, Synology E10G22-T1-Mini and if you recommend it, I am also considering adding 16GB or 32GB of DDR4 ECC RAM for the Synology DiskStation DS1522+ (125€ or 220€ respectively).

Thank you in advance for your support,
Ron
The Synology DS1522+ or DS923+ are both great options for a small business NAS, as they are powerful and feature-rich devices that can handle a wide range of tasks. The DS1522+ has a more powerful processor and more RAM than the DS922+, which may be beneficial if you plan to run multiple virtual machines or resource-intensive applications.

Adding additional RAM (16GB or 32GB) is a good idea if you plan to run multiple virtual machines or resource-intensive applications, as it will help ensure that the NAS has enough memory to handle the workload. The Synology E10G22-T1-Mini is a good option for a 10 Gigabit Ethernet card, which will provide faster data transfer speeds and better performance for your NAS.

The Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8TB drives are also a good option as they are designed for use in NAS devices and are known for their reliability and performance.

Regarding the features you mentioned, the Synology DS1522+ or DS922+ supports all of them, you can use the built-in chat application (Synology Chat) for real-time communication, the Synology Office for spreadsheet and project management, you can setup Time Backup for Mac, Android, and iPhone devices, the DS1522+ or DS922+ can act as a file server, you can use Cloud Station for file synchronization, you can use the Media Server for multimedia hub, the DS1522+ or DS922+ has a built-in mail server, and you can use the built-in VPN Server for VPN connection.

In conclusion, the Synology DS1522+ or DS923+ with additional RAM and the Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8TB drives are all great choices for a small business NAS. And it's also a good idea to get the Synology E10G22-T1-Mini as well.