Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Barracuda vs. Ironwolf for video editing

Thank you for your amazing videos on YT! I'm more on the writing/directing side of video production and can have a little trouble with the tech stuff sometimes. I will be editing some 4K - 6K video footage on my Mac Studio, and I'm trying to decide whether to go with Barracuda or Ironwolf drives. I don't have a NAS storage system set up yet, but I would like to eventually. Can I use an Ironwolf drive as a single-use drive for now, and then insert it into a NAS system later, when I get one for bigger projects? Or would you recommend sticking with Barracuda for now? Thank you sooooooo much!
You are correct that Barracuda drives are not recommended for use in RAID 5 or RAID 6 in a bigger NAS system. Ironwolf or WD Red Plus drives are better suited for these types of RAID configurations, as they are specifically designed for use in a NAS environment and can handle the higher workloads and vibration that come with it.

It's also worth noting that 4K video editing requires a high bandwidth, around 300-400MB/s, and a SATA SSD would be a better option for this. You can then use the SSD in your NAS system later, but keep in mind that the data on the SSD will need to be wiped when you use it in the NAS. Western Digital also has a range of NAS optimized SSDs such as the Ironwolf SSD or the WD Red SSD, which are designed for use in a NAS system and have better performance and longer warranty period.

In summary, to handle your 4K and 6K video footage, an SSD drive like Ironwolf SSD or the WD Red SSD is a better option and can be used in a NAS system later, but it's important to keep in mind that the data on the SSD will need to be wiped when you use it in the NAS.