Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Selecting my first NAS

Selecting my first NAS for the following:

1. Regular safe backup for my data (~2-3 TB now but steadily increasing). Mostly photos plus various personal files and documents that I would regret losing (the latter don't take as much space)
2. Good software for managing & sorting photos would be a strong plus. I am an enthusiast photographer, have plenty of photos and constant backlog in processing them
3. Easy iPhone photos offload to NAS so that I don't need to clean the phone's storage manually often. Ideally with support of iPhone's "live photos" (nice to have, not must have)
4. Ability to access my music remotely and listen to it on iPhone everywhere

Security & protection of my data from hackers is important. I am not a tech geek, so my NAS should be easy to set up and have an intuitive user-friendly interface. Speed of NAS seems to be of low priority as I won't use it for videos or gaming.
The Synology DS220+ is a great choice for your needs. It is a Celeron-based NAS device that has a transcoding engine that allows you to remotely access your videos and music. Additionally, the Photos app on the DS220+ allows you to easily backup and offload your photos from your phone. The Active Backup app on the DS220+ also ensures that your data is backed up on a bare-metal level on the computers you want to back up, which provides an added layer of protection for your data. With the Synology DS220+ you can also use it's built-in surveillance station to turn your NAS into a fully-featured home surveillance system.