Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Synology NAS

I have watched a number of your videos on NAS products. My use case as a photographer will be mainly storage for Lightroom/Photoshop use. and some minimal video editing. My current environment is two internal disks on a Windows 10 Desktop mirrored with regular backups to DAS devices and I am near running out of space. All of the media is on the RAID and the OS is on Drive C, so I think it will be easy enough to move to a NAS.
I like the Synology DS1522+ after watching a few videos and doing my own research. However, I am concerned about the "Supported Disk selection. I lean toward WD Red products. But I do not like the Red Plus in the 6TB size for the 5400 RPM. I want to get all the speed I can once I add the 10GbE card. What Issues would I run into going to the Pro 6TB which is 7200 RPM and not on the approved list or the un-approved list? Other options? I am also looking for a low noise disk.
Thank You
Chris Dahl
Using a 7200 RPM hard drive, such as the Western Digital Ultrastar Pro, in the Synology DS1522+ is technically possible, but it is not on the officially supported list.

This could potentially mean that Synology might refuse full support service in some cases. However, users have reported using 7200 RPM hard drives in their Synology NAS without issue.

Another option you can consider is using the WD Gold hard drive, which is designed for high-end enterprise use and offers a balance of performance and reliability. It also has a 7200 RPM and it's on the approved list for use in Synology NAS.

Additionally, you may want to consider using solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of traditional hard drives for increased performance, especially for Lightroom and Photoshop usage.

Regarding noise, the WD Gold and Ultrastar Pro are designed for server environments and are generally very quiet, but you can always check the noise level specifications of the hard drive you choose to ensure it meets your requirements.

It's also important to note that using a 10 GbE card will greatly enhance the performance of your NAS, allowing faster transfer speeds and better overall performance.
DS923+ has 4 bays, but it allows NVMe to be used for storage and really fast editing storage space.