Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Backing Up a Mac to a DSM 923+

Hi all,

I have a single iMac in my own office for which I want to improve the back system.  The building I'm in has an installed wifi and cabled network.     

For the work iMac I currently use Time Machine to back up to two external HDD's which I rotate to take home with me.  At home I have a recently purchased Synology NAS DS923+.  Still setting that up.

I'm wondering if I can set my iMac to connect to the DS923+ over the internet to back up automatically to schedule.  I thought I saw something about DSM 7.2 improving this functionality.  

Grateful for any guidance.  Smile
Yes, it is possible to set up your iMac to back up to the Synology NAS DS923+ over the internet. The Synology DSM 7 does indeed improve this functionality by allowing you to set up remote access to your NAS and configure Time Machine to back up to it. You will need to set up a VPN connection between your iMac and the NAS and configure Time Machine to use the network drive on the NAS as the backup destination. You can schedule backups to run automatically, as well. The specific steps may vary depending on your network setup, but Synology has a comprehensive guide on setting up Time Machine backups to a NAS available on their website.