Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ultrastar 20tb for home use nas

Hi guys, Anestis from Greece here, I just got my first NAS, a Qnap 464, thanks to your recommendations for a 4bay Nas and now trying to decide what kind of hard drives to buy. I need a lot of space (50 TB to 60 TB) usable space in RAID5 and the cost is very high. Do you think that the Ultrastar series is suitable for my case? I will mainly use my NAS for multimedia library and PC backup. THANKS AGAIN for your great articles and helpful videos!!!
The Ultrastar series of hard drives from Western Digital are suitable for use in a NAS, and they are designed for high-capacity, high-performance storage. They are a good option for a RAID 5 setup, as they have a high MTBF (mean time between failures) rating and are designed to withstand the increased workloads and vibration of a multi-drive system.

When it comes to capacity in your case, you will need to purchase 4 hard drives of at least 12TB each, to get the needed 50-60 TB usable space in RAID5.

Keep in mind that RAID5 will provide data protection but it also has a cost in terms of performance and it will cost you one drive worth of space for this protection so you will need to factor that in.

Also note that you can use also RAID 6 which provide additional protection against data loss, in case two hard drives fail at the same time, but it also has a cost in terms of performance and will cost you two drive worth of space.

In any case, it's always a good idea to backup your data regularly and keep it off site, to ensure that you will be able to recover your data in case of hard drive failure.

Overall, the Ultrastar series is a good choice for a NAS, but it's also important to consider your specific use case and budget when choosing hard drives for your system.