Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for 2 different NAS systems for 2 different purposes

Hi!

I'm currently looking for 2 different NAS systems that will be for 2 different purposes:

1 Startup: Should contain atleast 4TB of replicated storage, with upgrade capabilities. I was thinking myself for the Synology 420+ (with 2x 4tb disks) as it is it also looks easier for users to use but i'm not sure if it would be the right choice.

2 Plex: Should contain atleast 24TB and is mainly used for streaming. I want it to replace a very energy greedy server that currently has 8x 4TB disks in a ZFS pool. I don't mind to change to btrfs if that has a more ecofriendly system.

For the startup's replicated storage, the Synology DS420+ is a good option as it is a 4-bay NAS that supports RAID 1 and RAID 5/6. This means that you can use two 4TB hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration for data protection and easy upgradeability. This NAS also has good performance and a user-friendly interface, which makes it easy for users to use.

For the Plex server, I would recommend the Synology DS418play. This NAS is equipped with a quad-core CPU and hardware transcoding engine, which makes it a great option for streaming. It also supports up to 24 TB of storage, has a low power consumption and it supports Btrfs file system, which is known for its data and storage efficiency.

Another option would be the Synology DS1520+, this is a 5-bay NAS with a powerful Intel Celeron J4125 quad-core processor and hardware transcoding capabilities, it also supports up to 40 TB of storage and has a low power consumption.

It's worth noting that both the DS418play and DS1520+ have a user-friendly interface and good performance, which makes them easy to set up and use.

Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. Both NAS systems that I've recommended are solid choices that should meet your requirements, so it's worth comparing their features and prices to see which one is the best fit for you.