Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2nd Synology NAS

Hi there,

I now have an DS1821+ populated with 8 pieces of 4 TB WD red.
This as an backup for my 2 pieces of 8 TB drives in my pc.

Now in my new pc don't want any HDD's

So i am into buying a 2nd Synology NAS as a backup for my DS1821+. this has 8 GB mem an an double 10GBit intel card inside

But witch one Synoly to choose?

So you video on multiple smaller drivers or bigger makes my more insucure.

Would you like to help me?

Great YouTUbe channel by the way,

Regards Léon
If you are looking for a backup solution that provides the same level of redundancy as your current DS1821+, then getting another DS1821+ would be a good option. This would allow you to keep the same RAID configuration and drive capacity, providing a similar level of data protection and performance.

However, if you are looking to maximize storage space, you could consider getting a NAS with fewer bays but larger drives. This would allow you to store more data in fewer drives, but it would also mean that you would have less redundancy in case of a drive failure.

Alternatively, you could consider a NAS that doesn't use RAID and instead uses large drives. This would allow you to maximize storage space, but it would also mean that you would have no data protection in case of a drive failure.

It's worth noting that the DS418 is a value series NAS and it can be a good option as well if you are looking for cost-effective storage solutions.

Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. It is always good to have a balance between storage capacity and data protection. You should also consider the expected growth of your data, the number of users and the number of devices that will be connecting to the NAS and any other specific features or capabilities that you require.