Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS1520+

Hello,

Last year I purchased a DS1520+ to upgrade to from my Drobo 5N2. I only now have the funds to purchase the HDD's and any upgrades to finally make the transition. What HDD/RAM or any other upgrades would you personally recommend for my setup? It will predominantly be used for media. Thanks for any help you can provide.
The Synology DS1520+ is a powerful and versatile NAS device that can be configured to meet a wide variety of needs, including media storage. Here are some recommendations for hard drives and upgrades for your setup:

Hard Drives: I would recommend using NAS hard drives that are designed for 24/7 operation, such as the Western Digital Red plus or Seagate IronWolf. These hard drives are designed to work in NAS environment.

RAID Configuration: I would recommend using RAID 5 or RAID 6 for your media storage. RAID 5 provides a good balance of storage capacity and data protection, while RAID 6 offers even more protection against drive failure.

RAM: The DS1520+ supports up to 32GB of RAM, which can help improve the performance of your NAS if you are running multiple applications or using it for more demanding tasks. I would recommend upgrading to at least 8GB of RAM, 16GB would be even better.

SSD Cache: If you want to further improve the performance of your NAS, you can add an SSD cache to it. This will accelerate the performance of your drives and speed up data access.

Additional Network Card: If you are planning on using your NAS for high-speed data transfer, you might want to consider adding an additional network card. This will allow you to connect your NAS to multiple networks or to a switch that supports link aggregation.

UPS: A Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) is always a good idea to have in case of power outage, it will provide a power buffer for your NAS and make sure your data is safe.

Overall, you have a powerful NAS that can handle a lot of data and can be used for various applications. With the right upgrades, it will be a great media server for you.