Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for Home/photographer/backup/smart home

Hello, I am searching some home NAS solution to be used as a backup for my photographs, device backup (Windows PCs, iphones, ipad), running homebridge for smart home and multimedia center (partially). I was thinking about synology DS+ line but I have no clue which model (2 vs 4 bay, which line - 2xx, 4xx, 720, 723, 920, 923). I would probably start with 2 8TB HDDs (depends on the price and NAS model). Thank you very much for your advice. BR, Petr
I love my OLD DS213j. I would recommend Synology for sure. I plan to replace with another 2 Bay from the Plus line. My only concern right now is choosing between the 220+ and 223+

If storage is your only concern I'd wait for the 223, just for the fact that it's newer and will be serviced for 3 years longer.

The DS423 (none +) might also be a good choice for you, as you'll be able to add more drives later.

I'm trying to figure out if the DS220+ is a better choice for me, as I would like to remotely share the photos.
Yes, I would recommend Celeron-based NAS such as DS220+. If you choose so, it will also support smart home VMs and docker.