Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RAM Configuration

I have purchased a QNAP TS-464 with 4 Gb RAM, which I intend to upgrade to 16Gb.
My question is what is the advantage/disvantage of dual-DIMM configuration (2 x 8 gb) as opposed to 1 x 16 gb SODIMM
The advantage of a dual-DIMM configuration (2 x 8GB) is that it provides more memory capacity and potentially better performance, as the system can access memory from multiple channels instead of just one. Additionally, it allows you to upgrade the memory in the future by adding another DIMM, whereas a single SODIMM (1 x 16GB) would require replacing the entire module.

The disadvantage of a dual-DIMM configuration is that it can be more expensive, as you are purchasing two separate DIMMs rather than one larger one. Additionally, it can also require more space within the system, as the two DIMMs take up more physical space than one larger SODIMM.

In the case of your QNAP TS-464, it supports dual-DIMM configuration, so you could upgrade it to 2 x 8GB. If you purchase 16GB RAM, you would need to remove the existing RAM and install the new one. This is not a problem, but you will have to ensure you are buying the correct type of RAM that is supported by your device.

It's worth mentioning that RAM upgrade will depend on your usage, if you're doing heavy tasks like Virtualization or transcoding, then more RAM will be beneficial. However, if you're just using it for storage and basic functionality, then the current RAM may be enough for you.