Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adding disks to DS420+

Good morning Robbie

I purchased a DS420+ (my first NAS) to replace a WD My Cloud Home. I pulled a 10 TB disk out of an external drive I had as a first disk and moved all of my data over to that disk. My plan is to eventually have all WD Red 8 TB disks in the NAS using SHR. Now I am seeing that I cannot add smaller disks to the NAS. Currently I have the 10 TB disk in the NAS. How can I migrate from the 10 TB to 3-8TB SHR. I am pretty computer savvy so I should be able to follow your advice without much trouble. Thanks.
If that a single drive you have there, you could remove it. Then reset the NAS and build a RAID using 8TB drives. Then add 10TB drive via USB docking station. Copy data over . And then add 10tb drive to the existing RAID.

Or here is what others recommend :

To migrate your data from a single 10TB disk to a Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) configuration with multiple 8TB disks on your Synology DS420+ NAS, you can follow these steps:

Connect the additional 8TB disks to your NAS and format them.

Go to the Storage Manager in the DSM (Synology DiskStation Manager) operating system on your NAS and create a new SHR volume.

Choose the disks you want to include in the SHR volume and select "Create" to create the new SHR volume.

Once the SHR volume has been created, you can move your data from the 10TB disk to the new SHR volume by copying and pasting the files or using the "File Station" feature in DSM to transfer the files.

Once the data transfer is complete, you can remove the 10TB disk from your NAS.

Keep in mind that during the data transfer process, your NAS may be slower as it is transferring and writing data to multiple disks. Also, make sure to create a backup of your data before making any changes to your NAS configuration.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.