Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade from basic WD MyCloud

Hello! Firstly, thank you for providing such great content on YouTube, I've watched through almost all videos, but still unsure which NAS to go for!

I currently have a WD MyCloud (basic, single bay 4TB) but have been struggling with connectivity issues and the poor interface. I'm looking to upgrade to a two (or more) bay system to be able to have multiple back-ups.

I run a small business from home and would be looking to use the NAS to store/backup work related files. These are mostly spreadsheets, word documents and PDFs, nothing too demanding. I also enjoy photography and would be looking to store these on there. I currently don't use a media server, but it would be nice to future proof.

I'm currently swaying towards the Synology DS220+ as have heard good things about the software and ease of use. But unsure whether I should go for a 4 bay (DS418) and use my existing 4TB drive, or go for a QNAP system?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be really appreciated!
The Synology DS220+ and the QNAP TS-253D are both good choices for a NAS device that can be used for storing and backing up business documents, photos, and videos. Both devices have a good reputation for reliability and performance, and both offer a wide range of features and functions.

If you're primarily interested in using the NAS for storage and backup, and don't need a lot of advanced features like a media server or virtualization, the Synology DS220+ could be a good choice. It has a fast processor and plenty of memory, and the DiskStation Manager (DSM) operating system is easy to use and includes a range of built-in tools for managing and protecting your data.

On the other hand, if you're interested in a device that offers more advanced features and functionality, the QNAP ts-253d could be a good choice. It includes a built-in media server and supports virtualization, and the QTS operating system is highly customizable and includes a range of advanced tools and applications.

Ultimately, the best NAS device for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. Both the Synology DS220+ and the QNAP ts-253d are good options, so you may want to consider them both and see which one better meets your needs.

if you do go for a 4-bay (ds420+ or ts-453d) you can keep few bays empty for future upgrades.