Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First home NAS advice

My goal is to get away from OneDrive, Google drive, and those subscription services. I'm comfortable learning about the system and expansion as needs and interests change. Have watched many of your reviews, before you buy videos, comparisons, and setups and love learning from them. My wife and kids will prefer easy user experience. We'll have 5 family members syncing photos from Android and iPhones, with personal clouds and ability to share easily. No cameras but possibly later. Using less than 2TB currently across PCs and cloud. No experience with Plex or any alternatives.

I'm very interested in getting suggestions on where to focus my search given huge number of options. I want to future proof, but overspending on too much product is silly.

Thank you!
I would recommend Synology plus series models such as ds920+. It is great for local media streaming as well as remote access.
You can easily back up your mobile devices and organise your media with built-in tools and apps.
You will also get Dropb box alternative so you can move away from cloud providers.
DS720+/ds920+ are both good option. You can also leave few bays empty for future expansion.

I hope this helps