Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which secondary NAS to go with my ds1621+

Hello, I just purchased a new Synology ds1621+. And I love it so far. But my issue is that Plex can't do hardware transcoding. My question is, what are my best options? In my home, I have two sixty-five inch TVs. and two 32" TVs which I use plex. four computers, two smartphones, and one table I would like to stream to. I will use my ds1621+ for backups and photo editing, file sharing, and storing my edited videos.
I will need my NAS to be a multimedia Hub. I have previously owned a Qnap, but I love Synology software. I do love the way Qnap handles multimedia.
Looking for options:
Option 1: Purchase a 2bay or 4bay Synology or Qnap that handles hardware transcoding. I can use Rsync between the two.
Option 2: Return ds1621 for another NAS, but I think on the Synology side, only the ds220 and 420 support hardware transcoding, but I will need something that I can add 2.5 or 10gbe. I am using a 10gBe switch.
Any suggestions or recommendations?

Yes, Synology is phasing out media support on their NAS. Especially PLEX.
DS1621+ should be able to stream any videos in your home local network. Remote streaming over the internet is where issue starts.
DS920+ could transcode up to 1080p in Plex. But 4K connect on the fly conversion would require Xeon based model.
This is why Qnap 73A with GPU card is so popular. ANd now Qnap 74 series seem to handle even 8k .

I hope this helps.