Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

best NAS for home storage of files

Hello,

I would like to have a home NAS setup with RAID 5 ( or similar ). 4-6 bay. I want the ability to do backups ( to CD/DVD ? ) no need to spawn off virtual servers unless it is helpful. what is a good CPU / Mem requirement. What is the best interface to connect to a computer. Nice and effective software/gui. Secure. reliable. available thru WiFi. Best disks. I use to be a storage SA many many years ago ( Datadomain / Sun A1000 and used Raid 5 + 1 hot spare ). This will be used to store Music/Picts/Videos/Docs ( basic stuff ). I have a new DELL XPS 8950 with 32GB mem with a Intel i9-12900. so I have good strong desktop. i want something that will be good ( or have updates available ) for at least for a few years ( min 5 ? )
I understand that disks may not last for that long ( thus thinking hot spare - or available extra disks ) what happens if you have a 4-6 bay NAS for a few years and a disk dies and the model is no longer avail?

Help

Happy New Year
NAS is a very flexible storage device. If a drive fails, you can replace it with a different drive without losing your data. This can be a different brand or even a different size drive.
If a NAS fails you can move drives to a replacement or newer model and continue using it.
The best is to go for flagship models such as Synology plus series (ds923+) or Qnap 64 series. These models are made to last 5 years or longer.
Synology might be the easiest and most secure by default.

I hope this helps.