1 . Plex/JellyFin Server
2. Photos & Video Backup form Mobile Phone and then display on them via Plex
3. Git Reposiotry for All Code and Documents
4. Mail/Calendar/Contacts Server for the Family
5. Projects Data
6. Time machine
7. Paper/Journals Database with biblo
Current Scenario:
Have a mac studio as the main home system. I can attach a DAS with it and run all of the services from them or buy a NAS and use it. There is not enough space on Mac Studio for all project data ( composed of binarry file and large data files in multiple formats).
DAS looks good to me because I hace a powered compute device mac studio and can run other services on it.
NAS looks good becuase, it is seperate from my work machine and independent but fear that my home netowrk (running on wifi) is not fast enough for me to edit/work with large file (1G-1TB) from it. Secondly, not aware if I can run a mail/calendar/contacts server from it.
DIY?
It sounds like you are trying to decide between using a DAS (Direct Attached Storage) or a NAS (Network Attached Storage) for your home server. Both options have their pros and cons, and the best choice for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.

Here are some things to consider:

DAS: A DAS is a storage device that is directly connected to a single computer. It is generally faster and more reliable than a networked storage solution, since there is no network latency or bandwidth limitations. However, a DAS can only be accessed by the computer it is attached to, so it may not be suitable if you need to access your data from multiple devices or locations.

NAS: A NAS is a storage device that is connected to your home network and can be accessed by any device on the network. This makes it a good option for sharing data and running services like a mail server. However, the performance of a NAS can be affected by the speed and reliability of your home network, which may not be suitable for working with large files.

DIY: Building your own server can be a cost-effective way to get exactly the features and performance you need. However, it does require a certain level of technical expertise and may not be suitable for everyone.

Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you need to access your data and services from multiple devices and locations, a NAS or a DIY server may be a good option. If you only need to access your data from a single computer and don't need to share it, a DAS may be a better choice.

I would go for 10GbE ready/upgradable solution such as new 74 series from Qnap. Or Thunderbolt DAS/NAS like 72XT series.

I hope this helps.