Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS system

I am setting up an updated NAS system as part of a business handling large volumes of video data (Prores and Braw footage).

We are looking at a 6-bay Synology NAS (e.g. the DS1621+) with a dual 10GBe PCIe NIC and, in future, adding expansions. This will be connected to a multi-gig Switch, with a 10GBe enabled Mac mini via Cat6 to transfer data to the NAS.

My question is, would people within the office be able to access data on the NAS at 2.5GBe via Cat5e cables already in the walls? We want to avoid replacing the cabling, so would the multi-gig switch auto-negotiate from the 10GBe NAS expansion ports into the switch to allow a 2.5GBe connection out? If so, would this also be able to take advantage of the dual 10GBe ports for link aggregation with multiple connections or is this pointless?
Yes, you should be able to use cat5e cables for 2.5gbe. Here are few tables https://nascompares.com/answer/how-long-...ing-speed/
Synology are promising also multichannel SMB which will improve speeds. But in meantime, you can use things like load balancing and link aggregation via 4 lan ports at the back. Or via 10gbe ->2.5gbe switches.

I hope this helps.