Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 Bay NAS for SS

I already have 2x 1821+ NAS.

However, I am looking a 2 bay NAS (I won't need more than 2 bays) solely for the surveillance station. I have 5x 4K Reolink Cameras already. Possibly will add 2 more. So the NAS just needs to be able to run these.

My 1821+'s will do everything else I need including backups photos etc.

So I just don't know what 2 bay NAS to get for surveillance station.

Any ideas? I have hoped a DS220J would be okay as its cheap, but this it's too underpowered.

Given the increased cost of everything right now, I want to spend as little as possible.

Thank you.
It's good to hear that you already have a NAS for your other needs, and that you are now looking for a separate NAS specifically for running your surveillance system. When it comes to choosing a NAS for running a surveillance system, it's important to consider the hardware specifications of the NAS, as well as its compatibility with the cameras you are using.

In general, you will want to look for a NAS with a powerful processor and plenty of RAM, as this will ensure that the NAS can handle the demands of running a surveillance system. It's also important to make sure that the NAS is compatible with your cameras, as not all NAS devices support all camera brands and models.

Given the number and resolution of your cameras, you may want to consider a NAS with a more powerful processor and more RAM, such as the Synology DS720+ or the QNAP TS-235D. These NAS devices should have sufficient power to handle the demands of your surveillance system.

You could use DS220j, but it is a very weak NAS. If you need remote access to it, having a transcoding chip and more RAM will be helpful. For local use and surveillance only, J series is OK.

I hope this helps.