Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Advise

Hi,

Hope you are well. I want to purchase a NAS device as an alternate to cloud services and external hard drives that I currently use. Following are my key requirements. Can you please advise some options based on your expert opinion?:

- I will be using it at home primarily to backup pictures and videos from our phones and playbacks.
- Access to the NAS wirelessly at home and remote through an ios app. Need the user experience of the app to be not slow.
- Secure when accessing remotely
- Ability to back up the NAS to an external hdd periodically as a fail over easily by plugging in the drive directly to the NAS. Helps me decide if I need a 2 bay or single bay.
- Ability to retrieve data off the NAS hdd in case the NAS enclosure fails (easy data recovery from NAS drive)

Thanks in advance for taking time and answer the question. Your videos are very informative and gives a good overview of NAS jungle.

Regards
Karan
There are several NAS devices on the market that would meet your requirements. Here are a few options that you might want to consider:

Synology DS220+: This is a two-bay NAS that supports real-time and scheduled backups to external drives. It has a user-friendly interface and a variety of apps for accessing your data from different devices, including iOS. It also supports secure remote access and has a number of security features to protect your data.

QNAP TS-253D+: This is another two-bay NAS that offers similar features to the Synology DS220+, including real-time and scheduled backups to external drives, a user-friendly interface, and a range of apps for accessing your data from different devices. It also has a number of security features to protect your data when accessing it remotely.

WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra: This is a two-bay NAS that allows you to easily back up your data to external drives and supports secure remote access. It has a user-friendly interface and a range of apps for accessing your data from different devices, including iOS.

DS118 is an older 1 bay NAS (ds218 is a 2 bay version), that will allow everything you need. This is value series NAS and therefore not all functionality is available. If you need a smooth experience, you need Plus series NAS from Synology.

I hope this helps.