Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home NAS

We have WD MyCloud, which is now well past its due date. It is slow and gives us a headache while using Yamaha Musiccast audio streaming (we need something better than 7-year-old Twonky). After this experience with underpowered NAS, I am wary of ARMs.

We are looking for secure storage for music, movies and photos (raid 1?). Preferably accessible over the internet. Streaming music to a home system and films to a projector.
We are a family of four, incrementally starting to use a device each. Currently using about 4TB, and the capacity needs to grow. I do not see a use case for VM (are there any for home users who are not IT geeks?).

I watched all your videos ? and looked at 2- and 4-bays. I am unsure how one would increase capacity in the future if it were only 2-bay with raid 1.

What do you recommend?
You could get yourself a 4-bay and fill only 2 bays. Leaving other bays for future expansion.
The NAS itself will need a graphics chip if you want to be able to stream videos remotely. Celeron-based models such as DS920+ would come with that technology.
VMs are handy if you want to set up a smart home or play with Linux etc.
If you choose two bays such as ds720+, you can replace existing drives with bigger ones to gain more storage space.

I hope this helps.