Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which Synology NAS

Hello, I want to purchase Synology nas because their software is easier to use than Qnap. I will use it to back up four computers, files sharing, and photo editing in Adobe Lightroom. I will be using it for storing my video file. I will not be editing the video from the NAS. I will be streaming music and movie at home and away. I record a lot of HD and 4K videos. I am planning on using Plex Media. I also like to play around with Virtual Machines and Docker containers. My thinking is to purchase the ds720+ for my music and movies and a 1621+ for everything else. What do you guys think?
You can use plus series NAS such as ds920+/ ds720+ for backups and multimedia streaming. Including 4K via DS Video app.
Plex will not work with 4k transcoding remotely. Local streaming has no limits, bu remotely, you need Xeon based model or Qnap 74 series NAS the be able to transcode 4k in Plex.
VMs and docker also require Celeron as a bare minimum. But generally, same rules apply as you would buy a PC for that OS (VM) to install on.

I hope this helps.