Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What NAS to buy? Budget 800€

Hello all,

I will post my question here.
Hello niece and nephews, its testlab01 with a new question and advise needed.

I want to buy as in the TS says an NAS. A 4-bay nas will be enough to have it in RAID-5 for fail over (and later on to expand with an extra NAS 2-bay maybe for offline backup somewhere else).

The reason for this is because we are running out of cloud storage on my device as my families devices. Google several accounts etc, and when i want to expand the cloud storage i need to pay a lot for something what is not mines. And if i dont pay anymore i still need to store all the files to something local. So in this case an NAS would be the best solution.

So i know only two brands Synology the number(1) famous NAS brand, and QNAP what is more for professionals i think. My preference self goes to Synology because the software DSM.

But i am still not really convinced which one to buy. In my shopping cart (eBay) i have added DS920+ and 4x 2tb IronWolf ST4000VN006 in total i will have 12TB of storage with fail over of 1 disk of 4tb.

In the meantime 923+ came out in November 2022 and is a upgrade compared to the ds920+Pro"s- 2.5gbps Ethernet port.- upgrade to 16gb ram, not official only upgrade to 8gb with an extra so-dimm 4GB.- new CPU AMD this time (but no GPU processing power, so PLEX will not be the great solution, but having an NAS would be giving me more motivation to watch PLEX)- And now you have NVME storage pools available on the DS923+ but i will not use that.

I am not a big watcher because of work (not that much time) but it would be always good when i have time to watch something without problems, like Blu-rays etc.

My budget is about 800€ less is always better, i have a voucher of 300€ discount on eBay so from 966€ will be like 699€ what a good price is for NAS + storage 16GB.
still to take the 923+ that one is more expensive as well. But getting longer updates as well, or to stay with the 920+ + or even a QNAP to take?

building a NAS etc, will not be the choice because it will never give you all the bells an whistles what you get with an NAS.

Also what i forget to ask is regarding CCTV,

I will install 4 cameras around my home.
Yes, ds920+ is a multimedia-friendly NAS. DS923+ is for business file storage and not home.
Qnap alternatives such as 64 series feature similar Celeron CPU with the same transcoding chip. So practically you will see no difference. And ds920+ is probably cheaper now.
There is no need for 2.5GbE with media streaming and a simple file server.

I hope this helps.