Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TVS-H674

Hi there,

I have a synology from 2013 which has served me well. A 4 bay. However, its time for the upgrade. Looking at the TVS-H674. My end use is going to be database management and confidential client record backup, storage and hosting as well as a plex server that runs around the house and maybe when im away from time to time. I am set up for 2.5G network in the home. My question is as follows: Do i get 2X1tb M.2 drives for Cache and then all Plex and operating system goes onto there then shall i fill the bays with the 4 10tb iron wolf drives i have which leaves me 2 spare bays for storage or, should i look to get 4tb SATA SSD's for the storage to make the system quieter and quicker? Other than cost, would there be any disadvantages to this? Apologies if this is a newb question, i havent looked into any of this stuff since early 2013.
There are quite a few options. Video editors for example would set up 2x NVME SSD for read-write cache. Then use few of the HDD bays for SATA SSD set up as a separate volume for live projects. Then use the remaining HDD bays for regular NAS drives where archived data live.
But for home use, I often see people using NVMe pair in RAID1 used as a volume. The OS and apps live there. Then HDD can hibernate most of the time until data is actually accessed from them. Id NVme is big enough, you can also keep some data there not just OS and apps.

I hope this helps.