Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fast 2 or 3 bay NAS

Have an aging 2 bay Synology 216j, still works, slow as molasses, with 2 3tb disks. Recently installed 2.5gb network switch.
I don’t have huge data but will be increasing photography generated files.
Current pc has 3 tb storage between two m2 ssds, only half full. However, keeping multiple full/incremental backups/windows file history backups adds up.
1) Want 2.5gb
2) No movies, no music, no hdmi out needed.
3) Primary use – backup desktop, laptop(s), phone wirelessly if possible
4) Secondary use – access to photos to view on living room tv. Does this mean that I need to install PLEX?
5) Want real time file backup, and periodic full/incremental
6) Have one 8TB Iron Wolf pro drive to start
7) No raid, only jbod.
8) Thinking one 8TB drive to start, then adding another to back up the first one, maybe at night.
9) Very intrigued with using nvme ssds to improve caching/or even fast storage for photos to stream to tv. Cost noted above does not include adding these drives.
10) Probably increase memory to at least 8gb- not sure if more will help.
11) Considering qnap ts-364 for 2 8tb drives with one spare for future use, or I guess a 2 bay and use old synology for backup, although just as soon get rid of it.
12) Want backup to do real time (file history, scheduled full/incremental, wireless phone backup.
13) Sync to OneDrive (cloud) – if this is activated, does that mean my NAS is exposed to ransomware? Or is that exposure only if I allow remote access, which I do not need/want.
14) Regarding nvme, if unit has 2, can I use one for cache and one for storage – i.e. fast access to photos? Or do both need to be set up the same, one or the other? Which if so, then 4 nvme, with a pair for cache and a pair for storage? Although now the cost goes up, but I could build on it over time.
I am open to anything in the 400-550 (excluding drives) range that is fast, good back up software, and flexible nvme setup.

Phew – that’s a lot. I have been watching many of your NAS compares shows and thank you for the effort and knowledge that you impart. A most valuable resource.
Thank you very much.
Yes, only Qnap allows NVMe storage. Synology has only ds923+ that will do so if you buy their overpriced SSD (toshiba).
Qnap 64 series NAS is a perfect choice. It is upgradeable and powerful enough to deal with anything you list.
You can access it via DLNA or Plex. Either way, transcoding is not required locally.
If you enable cloud sync, this do not expose the system to ransomware per say. Only if this app itself has a hole. Very unlikely. Especially if you set up a firewall and only allow traffic between this cloud provider and you.
Cache will not improve photo access speeds unless you have 10 users accessing the same data all the time. Single SSD will only allow read-cache. Dual SSD will allow read +write.
You can have one for storage other for cache. Or have two pairs.

I hope this helps.