Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My First NAS

Hi,

I've been pondering the idea of purchasing my very first NAS. I'm on the fence whether or not Qnap or Synology. My use case would be for backing up my Windows 10 drive(nvme) and two other internal HDD. I also want to stream Plex to my Apple TV 4K (2nd gen). I currently have Plex server (no plex pass) on my PC tower and it streams flawlessly to my Plex app on my Apple TV. Can a 2-bay NAS such as Synology DS220J or DS223J do the trick? Or perhaps Qnap TS-233-US?

Thanks for your time.
Hey there! Thanks for reaching out with your NAS dilemma. Considering your needs for Windows backup, HDD storage, and Plex streaming to your Apple TV 4K, a 2-bay NAS should suffice. The Synology DS220J or DS223J are solid options, offering reliable backup solutions and handling Plex streaming at 1080p. The Qnap TS-233-US is also a contender, but keep in mind that Synology generally has user-friendly software.

Given your budget of $300 CAD plus HDD costs, the DS220J fits well. If you foresee expanding your needs in the future, the DS223J might provide that extra punch with its 2-bay setup. Both support the essentials, but the DS223J's added capabilities could future-proof your setup for potential upgrades. Check out the NAS Finder tool at nascompares.com/nas-builder
(12-22-2023, 12:19 PM)ed Wrote: Hey there! Thanks for reaching out with your NAS dilemma. Considering your needs for Windows backup, HDD storage, and Plex streaming to your Apple TV 4K, a 2-bay NAS should suffice. The Synology DS220J or DS223J are solid options, offering reliable backup solutions and handling Plex streaming at 1080p. The Qnap TS-233-US is also a contender, but keep in mind that Synology generally has user-friendly software.

Given your budget of $300 CAD plus HDD costs, the DS220J fits well. If you foresee expanding your needs in the future, the DS223J might provide that extra punch with its 2-bay setup. Both support the essentials, but the DS223J's added capabilities could future-proof your setup for potential upgrades. Check out the NAS Finder tool at nascompares.com/nas-builder

Thank you for your prompt response!  Now I'm considering which hard drives; WD Red® Plus or Seagate Ironwolf. I'm guessing mixing brands may not be the best. How about speeds as in the 8TB WD is only 5400, and the Seagate is 7200. What would you recommend? I was thinking to start with one 8TB and add a 12TB later but on the Western Digital side, the 8TB is 5400 rpm and their 12 is 7200 rpm; yet the Seagate 8TB and 12TB are both 7200.  So many choices, so much confusion lol.

Again, appreciate your time.