Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NVMe Gen3 or Gen4 for TVS-H674

Hi

Thank you NAS Compares for all you do to educate and help the community—you make a real difference and cut through the BS... with a bit of humour along the way too!

I'm now the proud owner of a TVS-H674-i5-32G—an impulse purchase on available sock after months of deliberating. My use case is amateur photography/video editing plus other usual benefits of NAS. I also have only two macOS users, one with 10Gbe into QXG-10G2T-X710 and the rare QNA-T310G1T 10Gbe Thunderbolt adapter. 

My question is around the NVMe drives I'd like to use with QTS in a r/w cache configuation. Does it make any sense to go with Gen4 NVMes versus going with something safe, and still fast, like the WD Red SN700s? My thinking is that I'm going to max-out the 10Gbe with about 1,000 Mb/s because of the single 10Gbe connection, so what would be the point of spending extra money on Gen4 NVMes, which are faster, but that's not where my bottleneck is going to be.

If in the future I could get a cheap DUAL Thunderbolt 3 10Gbe connection, which don't seem to exist at reasonable prices yet, then maybe 2,000 Mb/s might be possible, but that still seems seems well within the capabilities of Gen3 NVMes at around 3 Gb/s internally within the NAS.

Any other solutions to try and get faster throughput to macOS seem prohibitively expensive, like 25Gbe setups requiring a lot more hardware at huge cost.   

My hope is to hang on to this beast for a number of years swapping out/in bits over time, although I've just the price of the extended warranty for just two extra years and nearly choked!

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated...

Thank you
Yes, this model fetaures 2 x M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 slots = potentially 16GB/s. If you only connect via 10GbE, you can not take advantage of these speeds.
When choosing NVMe for caching you need to look at reliability ratings such as DWPD/MTBF. Here are a few on the list
https://nascompares.com/answer/nvme-m-2-...dwpd-mtbf/
Caching means a lot of read and write operations, unlike regular storage situation.
You would need to look at models with 0.5DWPD and above

970 pro – 0.66DWPD

Synology SNV3400 – 0.68DWPD

Seagate FireCuda 510 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate IronWolf 525 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate Firecuda 530 – 0.7 DWPD
Seagate PS5 Game drive – 0.7 DWPD

Seagate FireCuda 520 -0.9 DWPD
WD Red SN700 – 1.0DWPD

I hope this helps.
Thanks for your help.

The WD Red SN700 is perfect for my needs.