Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

true answer for me DS923+ vs TS-464

Yes, choosing a NAS can be confusing. But it really breaks down to few things. What speed do you need and what functionality?
If you need a NAS for remote 4k video streaming, you need a graphics chip built in such as Celeron NAS. Or PCIe GGPU compatible NAS such as TVS-673A. Or Xeon based models.

If you do not need multimedia support of that kind then the only thing look at is the speed. Ryzen, Atom and Intel core i / Xeon CPU can offer 10gbe speeds. This will allow to narrow down choices quickly.

If you need different-size drive mixing Synology is the only decent brand out there that does it.

ECC RAM is not something you need for home. But if you run virtual machines, docker, web server, this is recommended.

If you go for Synology, BTRFS will enable you features like snapshots. Qnap can achieve the same with EXT4.

ZFS is quite an advanced file system. It also requires a lot of performance. So you need Xeon CPU. It does not allow drive mixing. You do not need this.

RAID5 vs RAID6 allow one or two drive failure. People often prefer RAID6 as a safer option.

By the sound of it, you will be OK with DS923+.

I hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
RE: true answer for me - by ed - 11-24-2022, 01:12 PM
RE: true answer for me - by kfad - 11-26-2022, 03:35 PM
RE: true answer for me DS923+ vs TS-464 - by ed - 11-29-2022, 11:02 AM
RE: true answer for me DS923+ vs TS-464 - by kfad - 11-29-2022, 01:53 PM