Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP NAS selection

Thanks to both of you for offering this service. Your channel is excellent, and you guys are tireless.

My question is regarding NAS selection from the point of view of a user doing not-too-crazy file server tasks with a WiFi-connected client.

I currently have a TS-451 (original) upgraded to 8 GB RAM, connected to a WiFi router over Ethernet, and clients connect over WiFi. It has been good for backups and learning QTS, but that’s about it. Everything else including just browsing through folders, using PhotoStation, editing photos, or using a VM is just too laggy, even with the RAM upgrade. It’s really not usable for those applications. Dare I say it’s a toy?

I use the same WiFi setup to connect to file servers at work through VPN, and the experience is smooth and seamless. The enterprise-grade file servers at work help with the user experience.

I know I have an ancient NAS, so I’m looking to upgrade to something newer and more capable. The TS-464 and 453E look interesting, but I’m worried that a Celeron-based machine will still result in lag, and I’d have been better off buying a Pentium-based NAS like the TVS-h474, but it would have to be 4-bay. That said, the 4-bay h474 is disappointingly de-featured, and not sure it’s a significant step above the prosumer models.

My tasks are not super strenuous, but I need a NAS that does it’s job really well with no lag for WiFi-connected clients. Do you have suggestions?

Thank you,
Dave

P.S. I made a donation, but not sure how to link it to this message.
Yes, this is an old NAS. Understandably the latest QTS OS will slow down this older hardware since it need more resources.
The replacement for this model could be TS-464 which has the Celeron chip inside. It also features NVme slots and PCIe upgrades. This makes it a future-proof choice. If you need something that do not require replacement for 10 years then surely Intel core i3/i5 (74 series models) or Ryzen 4-core (73A series) CPU would give you that assurance.

I hope this helps.