Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Upgrade

I have an older QNAP TS-469PRO with 4 x 2TB running RAID 10, but this device is no longer supported by QNAP. I would like to upgrade to a QNAP or Synology NAS, but I understand I can't swap the current 4x2TB drives from the QNAP into a Synology NAS. I also want to make sure I purchase a device with the longest time duration support I can get, so I'm reluctant to purchase a unit that has been out for 2 to 3 years and would prefer to wait on a newer model. I'm not that concerned about traditional HDDs vs SSDs since I plan on running RAID 10, so to keep costs down, I'll most likely opt for HDDs. I've been watching videos and like the more friendly user interface of the Synology devices, but can't decide between the two brands. Since I'm not in an urgent situation, do you recommend waiting until later in 2023 to see what offering each company will have? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your videos and your great product analyses.
Yes, you can not move those drives to Synology unless you format them. But you can move them to another Qnap NAS.
There are new models released every few months, there is never-ending upgrades and new releases.
TS-469PRO modern replacement would be TS-464 Celeron series or TVS-473A AMD based model.
On the Synology side, it would be DS923+ or DS1621+.

I hope this helps.