Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS to extend storage for surveillance video

Hi,
I’d like your advice on the choice of NAS for a system I’m installing which is mainly focussed on home surveillance and storage of family photos. I’ve already got part of the solution but am wondering how best to extend for additional storage.

FYI
I’m a software developer that in a past life designed circuit boards and other hardware so I have the ability to delve into the depths of a machine/software but I’m more than happy to use an out of the box solution where thinking isn’t always required.

Requirements
• Home surveillance - Record 8 4k cameras 7/24. Playback from home only, I do not need remote access.
• Storage of family photos. - I’d like to store photos for local access. I’ve too many DVDs, USB drives with multiple copies of the same thing in an ad-hoc way rather than a managed back up.
Ideally I’ve have a separate storage (folder) linked to Google Photos so my phone pushes to Google and they are then synced locally. I can then review the google photos on the NAS and move them to permanent local storage if I want to keep them or delete them if unwanted. I’d like to just use Google as a simple way to take photos and move them to local storage if I want to keep them. This also lets the wife do the same thing without having to download from the phone, ask me lots of questions etc.
• VMs - This is a nice to have and might be a future option but It wouldn’t be a deal breaker if it wasn’t possible to run a VM.
• Maintenance - I‘d like to keep things simple so they are easier to manage once setup. Setup can take time but I’d like to perform basic system monitoring each month rather than making constant configuration updates.
• Backups - Automation of two local backups such as a USB drive connected to the NAS and another network device. I appreciate I should have an off-site backup but I don’t want to use permanent cloud storage at this point. (apart from google photos as previously mentioned).

I don’t use plex, play games or do much home automation. Streaming is Netflix, amazon etc.

Existing infrastructure:
• Netgear managed switch (1Gb) with POE+ available for all 24 ports
• CAT7a cabling throughout the house, CAT8 wasn’t available at the time.
• Where possible all devices are wired even the Chromecasts, only mobiles, tablets, laptops use wifi.
• HP EliteDesk 800 mini G6 i5 10500 32GB RAM (for video surveillance)
o 1TB Seagate FireCuda 530 for the operating system
o 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 for initial local storage of surveillance video
o 2 x 1TB Seagate FireCuda 530 drives connected via USB 3.2 Gen 2 for additional video storage.

Why am I asking about NAS now?
My initial plan was to expand the current storage using an external thunderbolt 3 enclosure (DAS) connected to the HP mini. I’d reuse the M.2 drives that are currently connected via USB if the enclosure supports them or add some WD Purple drives. The cost of an external enclosure supporting multiple M.2 drives is currently nearing the cost of a NAS. Also I believe one of your videos warned that thunderbolt uses additional resources so am concerned that using it for external storage could negatively affect the recording process for video. I have the option to keep the USB C in the HP mini or replace it with the thunderbolt option.
So I’ve started thinking about pushing the video to a NAS instead of local storage.
Earlier in the year I had reviewed the NAS options and like many people Synology seemed the way to go, however I saw too many people reporting issues recording surveillance video 24/7 which was the whole point of the project. So I decided to go the standalone PC route and use Blue Iris. I’ve got a couple of Amcrest cameras as I liked the build quality although they don’t always get the best reviews for video quality.
However, I recently saw a review of the Asustor LOCKERSTOR 4 Gen2 (AS6704T) and was very interested in the option to use the M.2 slots as storage instead of cache. I’ve a couple of 2TB & 1TB Seagate FireCuda 530 drives which could be used as storage ( and leave the 4 drive bays for later use such as for a couple of mirrored WD Purple drives to store surveillance footage for a couple of weeks. I use the FireCuda drives due to their high durability.

So…
• Do I go for the Asustor option and move my M.2 drives there and buy some additional WD drives.
• Go for Synology DS923+ which supports M.2 as storage but it seems to depend on what you read as to whether this is just for cache or also storage.
• Use Blue Iris or move over to the solution provided by the NAS.
• Or something else?

The budget of £1000 is for the NAS, i am happy to add additional storage as time/money allow.

Hopefully all this information makes sense?
Any/all recommendations gratefully appreciated.

Regards, Lee
If you need a box that doesn't require thinking that Synology would allow that. New DS923+ is not very multimedia friendly. But it would work just fine for local streaming.
Synology come with fairly good surveillance software, but again for local use. No transcoding do not simplify remote CCTV footage access if you have 4k cameras.
Also, M.2 is not yet confirmed. Knowing Synology they might allow only their Toshiba relabeled SSD for volumes.

Asustor or Qnap 64 series would probably be the best choice for you. Or older ds920+ (has no nvme volume support or 10g).

I hope this helps.