Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS solution for filmmakers

Hi guys,

We're in need of a storage solution. Currently we buy around 4-6 4TB Lacie rugged HDDs every year for our HD workflow, so we have a lot of these hanging around (maybe 12-16 of them from the last 3 years). We'd usually edit from these drives or sometimes directly from SSD drives used in the filming process (Atomos SSD caddies and Samsung T5 SSD). We would then transfer the footage onto the Lacie HDDs for backup once the project is done.

To add to our storage solution neccessity, it's likely we might be heading into a 4k workflow for some future projects.

Obviously there is probably quite a lot wrong with this workflow which I'm sure I don't need to explain to you... Having watched one of your Youtube videos, I can see that you're expert(s) in this area.

So, we've been looking into NAS solutions and thinking of taking the plunge.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What should we do with our archive from the last 3 years (approx. 40-50TB)?

2. What is the best solution moving forwards for working on projects and archiving them?

To break apart those questions, I've been wondering whether we would need a big enough NAS to cover our archive backlog PLUS enough space for current and future projects. Or whether we should simply buy a DAS / raid solution for archive and NAS for current and future projects. Obviously there are cost implications for both options... maybe we don't even save that much by going for DAS or DAS raid for archive?

It's worth mentioning that the chances of us being asked to delve into archive to change anything or re-edit videos is quite low.

Like I mentioned, to add to complexity I'd like to be able to edit projects in Manchester for some of the week, not travelling to our Studio in Sheffield. This could either be done with the Lacie HDDs that we clear space on or with another NAS in my studio in Manchester.

Apologies for the long winded explanation.

Some advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Mark
Yes, you should have a backup at any given time. Either it is just a footage, live projects or archives.
Having a NAS would allow automated backups to internal, external or remote disks.
Having a NAS would be helpful to store files and footage that is meta tagged for later use in new projects.
You could use something like ds1621+ or bigger plus series NAS. This allows you to start with just few drives and add more drives later when you need more space.
You could have a second NAS in a remote location that sync everything from the main NAS. This will protect you against disasters like fire/flood/theft.

I hope this helps.