Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DS920+ or DS923+?

Hello,

I've just found your article about the DS923+ and liked it quite a bit. It gave good information about the new product that is arriving.
What I'm still wondering is, should I buy the new system, or stay with the DS920+ and grab it hopefully for a good price during black Friday?
I'm currently using a DS216j with 2x 2TB in RAID 1. I mostly use it for storing documents and pictures and I'm listening to music from time to time, that is saved on it.
Recently I've begun to stream videos from it to my TV and am running out of space as well, so I wanted to upgrade to a 4-bay system to be more flexible in the future.
I was looking at the DS920+. Just add another 2TB drive, change to RAID 5 and I have doubled my storage capacities. Furthermore, using a newer NAS, I'M able to profit from DSM 7.x, as my current model is not powerful enough (only 512MB of RAM) to run the new OS.
Long story short, I will continue to use it as as before and don't need VMs on it. Maybe in the future, the surveillance station will come in handy as well, but for now video streaming will be the biggest point, alongside storing documents, pictures and music. Is the DS920+ the best choice for the years to come, or should I invest extra and go to the newer model?

Thank you very much for your insight,
Patrick
I would certainly recommend getting ds920+ during black Friday sale. It is perfect for home.
DS923+ is a business-only based NAS and will not support multimedia.
If you do need 5GbE speeds, you can use USB dongle on ds720+.

I hope this helps.