Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology SA3400 for Plex

Hi,

I am looking to pick up my first NAS, and your videos have been incredibly helpful. I specifically want a rackmount since I have a server cabinet in my home. I have the opportunity to buy a SA3400 off a friend (almost new with 4 years left on warranty), for £2500.

It's on the higher end on my budget, but I do want a minimum 8 bay rackmount. Only concern is that the CPU does not do hardware transcoding. My household will have a number of users, and I want to make sure it can handle everything if I'm spending that kind of money.

I will simultaneously use the NAS to run home assistant, and process 4 security camera feeds (720p without motion, 4k during motion).

Do you have any better recommendations? Or should I pick this one up?

Thanks,

Maxim
Yes, it comes with Intel® Xeon® D-1541 8-core 2.1GHz, Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz.
There is no transcoding engine. But even if it had one, it could not transcode 4k on the fly. Anything above 1080p requires pure CPU power. And this NAS can do just that.
Otherwise, people go for models like TVS-873A and install PCI GPU card for transcoding.
Also, remember that transcoding at home is very like not even necessary since original files can be streamed via LAN.

I hope this helps.