Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TS-H2490FU-128 vs TS-H1290FX-128

Hi NAS Compares

We currently have a TS-h3088xu-RP as a main production server, but recent and future work in the video editing space (8k) needs even more performance than this gives. It will become a secondary box and great for snap mirrors too. This sits on a combination if 25Gbps and 10Gbps network with a bonded connection from the NAS to the 25Gbps switch.

I was going to hit the trigger on the 2490 with 24 x 2TB NVMe drives as it seemed the same as the 1290, but upon further inspection, the 1290 gains PCIE 4.0 for the NVMe drives, whilst the 2490 is 3.0 for the drives (and 4.0 for the add-on slots)

From a budget standpoint, my rough maths stands like this: the 1290 with PCIe 4.0 4TB drives x 12 @ $1000 will set me back 12K, along with the unit itself costing roughly 12K (24K all up)

Assuming the same space requirement, the 2490 could use 2TB drives x 24 @ $275 per disk, then about 15K for the NAS (22K all up)

I could factor in future internal storage overhead and buy maybe 14 to 16 4TB drives for the 2490 (around $550 per drive)

I guess the question is, what would you do if performance trumped space?

I can't afford a TDS-h2489FU Sad

I have no dedication to QNAP, but I do have the 3088XU and 2 x TS-2483XU units, so remaining in their ecosystem probably makes sense.

Yes, it makes sense to stay in ecosystem. And they do a better support than budget brands.
Yes, obviously rackmount has way more power compared to a desktop model. You also get more PCIe lanes. This is an actual thing that I would focus on. How many cards can I install and what output I can expect. You can have a combination of two NAS. One for editing. This would be filled with SSD and only store live projects. And a second NAS, a very cheap 10gbe NAS for finished projects.
2k difference and you get much more future proofing with a rack.