Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thanks

Hello,
I just discovered you on YouTube. Unfortunately I just bought a NAS just before I found your channel. I'm actually watching your 8 part set for series on the device I purchased. Thank you for the extensive guide. I got a Asustor Drivestor 4 Pro AS3304T, it was cheap about $300 so I go it. I find it a little slow, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Anyway I want to setup a better media steaming platform. I set one up before using a DAS with my Mac and iTunes. This time I want to setup RAID 5, for data protection and a additional external external hard drive for backups. Which External HD do you recommend.

I would also like to be able to remote in to access some files. It would also be nice to be able to backup my files to anther device, through a VPN. For example I'm currently in Japan and my extended family is in CT, USA. I could maybe put one NAS there the send backup from my NAS here.

After reading your webpage I think I should have gotten a Qnap as I'm already familiar with ZFS and snapshots. How hard would it be to connect my Asustor Drivestor 4 Pro AS3304T with a Qnap NAS?

Sorry I said so much
Thanks for your videos
Antone Rich
Asustor AS3304T is not a bad NAS, but it definitely is not powerful enough to cope with things like ZFS and snapshots.
It will work with other systems though. You can use something called RSYNC. Qnap and other brands support it.
Asustor EZ connect will allow remote connection. But you also use Open VPN or TeamViewer to connect via a direct tunnel.
I hope this helps https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colleg...?topic=322