Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Using hard drives of varying storage capacity

Hi guys!

I hope all is well with you all! Thank you for your excellent videos and all the great information you all provide!

I had a question about using hard drives with different capacities. I currently have a DS920+, in which I have three 6TB Seagate drives using SHR which I know would allow me to use different sized hard drives. I was thinking about putting a 14TB hard drive into the one empty bay I currently have. My question is...would having such an "asymetric" set up, with three 6TB drives and one 14TB drive be ok? Would there be performance trade offs? Would I be able to get full use of the 14 terabytes in the new drive?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and advice! It's much appreciated!

Regards!
No, this additional drive will be seen as 6TB drives. https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/R...TB|14%20TB
I would recommend creating a separate Basic volume on this individual drive and not add it to an existing RAID if you need all this additional capacity. Otherwise, you may replace one of the smaller drives with 14TB drive. Capacity increase works in pairs. The other option is to add an expansion box where you add a second 14TB drive. Then SHR will make full use of all drives.

I hope this helps.