Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TVS-h474 vs TS-464

Hello.  I'm in the market to replace a 10-year old Synology DS412+.  In all honesty, it's met my needs for many years until media formats have exploded and client transcoding is hit or miss.  I'm also adding 4-6 cameras which I've never had prior.  I'm believe the TS-464 will meet my needs with some added upgrades.  The TVS-h474 is notable but will it meet or exceed the performance of the TS-464.  What could one expect of the TVS-h474 PLEX performance?  I intend to have it for a good 7-10 years if possible.  If the answer is "NO", what about TVS-h674-i3-16G.  It's 3x the amount of the TS-464 but if it would future proof me for 10 years it's an option.   PS - I was a hold-out for the DS-923+ but disappointed in the CPU without the on-board GPU.  Thank you.   jd
Yes, Synology have disappointed a lot of home users with their future vision. Multimedia is not there.
This is good news for Qnap. TS-646 is indeed a multimedia friendly option. You can do everything you mentioned with this NAS.
Streaming 4k in Plex over the internet might not be possible though. This can be done with Qnap own video app though. Local streaming have no limitations like that.
If you do need 4k transcoding remotely then people go for 473A with GPU card installed.

I hope this helps.