Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology/QNAP NAS or Old Computer with TrueNAS

Hello NAS experts,

I am looking for a NAS solution forthe following requirements. Have been actively following your video comparisons on youtube and also reading articles, getting accustomed to NAS solutions such as UnRaid, TrueNAS etc. I am contemplating whether to use my existing hardware that is no longer being used for its intended purpose.

Requirements:

1. PLEX Server for Media Hosting 4K HDR and TrueHD atmos content 30TB plus collection. Possibly, transcoding support. Number of streams 1 to 3 (Max. 4) at any given time.
2. Self Hosted Photo Management Solution - Looking to move away from Google Photos and iCloud
3. Self Hosted Backup solution that can be accessed remotely for files similar to Dropbox
4. I will be installing atleast 8 Surveillance cameras across my newly built home so potentially storing and accessing footage on demand

Existing Hardware:

Intel i9900k with Corsair H150i Pro
64GB DDR4 RAM 3600MHz
Asus Maximus XI Hero Wifi Mobo
18TB WD DataCenter Drive + 4 TB WD Red NAS Drive + 4 TB WD Red NAS Drive + 4 TB WD Red Pro
Samsung 500 GB NVMe SSD 880 Pros x 2
No GPU but can buy one if this hardware can be reused for a Custom NAS

I also have an Intel 10th Gen. NUC with 64GB DDR4 RAM, Crucial 500GB NVMe SSD with a Thunderbolt 4 port.

I am happy to buy a NAS where I could use some of these components especially the RAM and Drives. I was looking at QNAP TVS 874 but it had almost the samw processsor as mine 12th gen i5 vs 9th gen i9. Also, TVS-h1288X-W1250-16G vs Synology Ds3622xs+ for future proofing if I were to go with a proprietary NAS.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thank you.
Yes, you could use these drives on 874 NAS. You can have seperate RAID/volume for different size drives.
A more popular choice is 873A which allows GPU card installation. This makes this NAS a 4K solution for remote streaming.
The i3 CPU on its on might not be able to transcode full range of 4K.

I hope this helps.