Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

tvs-h874-i5-32g

I am looking to buy this unit. I have already bought 5 16TB drives built for NAS use.

With the understanding that the first Storage Pool that you create is where the Applications get installed, I was intending to buy 2 1TB NVME m.2 drives to mirror. However, I initially was interested in have the m.2s provide caching. Which is more important? The applications on SSD or the SSD being used for caching

I will be using this unit for multiple purposes, such as an iSCSI for my Desktop to replace the RAID5 I have in the non-Server desktop (lost a drive 1 time and it took 30 days to rebuild, ugh.) I also look to provide a thin volume for each of my family to use as an off-site backup. I will only do this if they can be created where I have no access to their data. Is that possible?

Should I make the RAID5 be with 4 drives and have the 5th set as a hot-spare? (I think it will be years before my family and I could use up this much space. If I find us getting close to it, could I add an additional drive and expand the RAID5?

Do I have to have a router to handle the 10GBe? Or can I plug directly from a 10GBe NIC on my desktop to the 10 GBe NIC I install on the unit and have the unit connected to the general network via the 1 GB port?

Sorry that the questions are not in a list format. I typed them as I thought through what I wanted to type. Feel free to extract the questions when placing on the Q&A Forum.

Thanks, and I watch your Youtube shows all of the time.

Joe

Messages In This Thread
tvs-h874-i5-32g - by ENQUIRIES - 11-04-2022, 03:00 PM
RE: tvs-h874-i5-32g - by ed - 11-07-2022, 03:50 PM