Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology flashstation NAS SSD compatibility

Sorry in advance for the long message.

I will be building a NAS soon to connect to a processing server via 10gig networking. I need 132TB minimum of usable space. Currently, I am looking at Synology devices since the end users are already comfortable with that software and I will not be able to support them well where this NAS/Server is going. At first I was looking at the FS3410, intending to fill it with 7.68TB SATA SSDs. But I noticed on their compatibility list there was not that many options. Looking through the compatibility list, I saw the FS3400 comeĀ  up often, even though it's an older model not listed on their site anymore. Is there any real difference between these?

The Micron 5300 PRO SSD ($800 7.68TB ea.) I saw were compatible with the FS3400 but not the FS3410. One plan is to use these in the FS3400 using RAID F1 (essentially RAID 5 but for SSDs). Another option was to get their 16 bay RS4021xs+ and buy 18TB 3.5" HDDs and use RAID 10 for better speed and fault tolerance. HDDs are not ideal because this will have to be a somewhat portable server, being loaded onto and off of a boat (shock absorbing portable rack), but if that's the best option then it is what it is.

The (tentative) plan is to have 64GB RAM on the NAS regardless of the option.

The processing they will be doing is loading many many small <100MB image files from the NAS to use in machine learning algorithms (through 10gig sfp+ expansion cards w/ 10gig switch). Probably in the hundred thousand file range. I don't think they will have to access them all at once but it will likely be as many as possible.

I highly appreciate any advice you can provide, typically I do not use Synology for NAS solutions so I'm a bit out of my depth in terms of their compatibility etc.
Yes, FS3410 is their latest model that replaced 2 years old FS3400. It has exactly the same specs. But with new models Synology started to disable an option to use SSD/HDD from other brands. They want to sell their own Toshiba drives that they relabeled. They claim having better SSD/HDD firmware even though they are not HDD manufacturers. Quite funny, but it is what it is.
If you can get hand on older model, you will have no drive locking situation. Otherwise, you need to get SSD from their list.
If you go for other models with 3.5inch bays, you can screw in 2.5inch SSD with no problems.
If this needs to be transported quite often, having SSD makes sense.

I hope this helps.