Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS system

Hi
I'm a photographer with 30 years of experience, working in the digital media since 2004 and have 15+years of analog material which will be digitalize soon
I have a Mac Book Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
MacBookPro11,3, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz Memory:16 GB
running version 10.13.6
and this will be my base machine for some time to go, since I'm using Photoshop CS6 on it and this is the only that will run that,
anyway I'm looking for a 5 bay nas system that has speed ( meaning 10 to 40 GB transfer rate ) this mac is using still the Thunderbolt (up to 40Gb/s)
USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s) .
At the moment im using Novus External USB-C Rugged Desktop Hard Drive, and im aware that this is not the solution , but the transfer rate is fast
I had 2 dying on me, ( i always have 3 back ups so i was safe )
I need to go to the next step and the 5 bay nas would be a perfect solution i been looking at Symbology DS1522+ and 10GbE upgrade card to get some kind of speed
I will be-working on reorganizing images adding meta text , so lots of date coming and going, I not sure if this will be fast (bottle neck)
I was thinking of using
QNA-T310G1S
OWC Thunderbolt 3 10G to ad some speed

by getting the Symbology DS1522+ with 10GbE upgrade card +5 drives at 14 tb memory and ssd it all come down to $ 4300.00 i have a budget of $5000
this investement should last for at least the next 5 years to come if not more
but Im worry if i should just wait
I know firewire / thunderbolt 4 should be coming out soon
so im kind of confused on what to do.
thanks

dominik
Yes, DS1522+ supports 10GbE upgrade. This NAS filled with SSD could achieve full 10GbE speeds. But filled with HDDs could still give you decent speed around 700MB/s (based on file types/size).
There is also Qnap options such as TVS-672XT with Thunderbolt on board.
Or you can use PCIe slot and upgrade up to 100Gbit network card. https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/?cond...16,0-6,3-3

For Photo editing, DS1522+ is all you need.

I hope this helps.