Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Family Nas

Hi,
First let me tell you that I am quite new on this topic so if I give some useless information sorry in advance.
To give you some context about my tech skill, I am a cloud developer (python & aws), so I have some docker and linux knowledge.
I just want to create a NAS to fit my family needs (we are 3), the majority of files that we save on are personal, and they are documents/videos/photos. On top of that, sometimes I save a few amounts of movies when I go on holidays or travel but nothing that I need to have available on my cloud for a lot of time.
Each one of US have an external driver USB 3.0 with 2TB and for now it's enough (mine for example have less than 1TB used and I have that drive since 2010 with some Virtual Machines that I need to have time to delete)
Recently before a start reading about NAS I bought two 2TB computer HDD to work as a storage poll on my Desktop computer, but now I think that makes sense to create a solution that can centralize my family data and use it as a family private cloud.
Saying all of that, I am here asking an advice on each NAS should I start with. From some videos that I saw from Synology and Asustor they seem to be the best solution because they have user-friendly software, but I want and advice from someone that are inside of the topic. If it's possible I have a linux server running on that NAS it would be perfect but if that feature increase a lot the cost I can use a raspberry pi to that purpose. On my first house I have 200 Download and 100 upload service and on my second house I have 500 downloads and 200 upload. On the storage field I told 10TB should be enough but if you can give or thought on that too could be nice
Yes, it looks like Synology DS720+ or DS920+ is the best option for you.
You can install Linux virtual machine and docker if you want to.
The built-in transcoding engine will convert video on the fly if you happen to need this.
Synology software is going to keep your data safe and easily accessible.
You can replace, Netflix, Drobox, raspberry pi, backup drives and so much more.

I hope this helps.