Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nas plex server used for deployment

Looking for a quality plex server always online, for when i go on deployment for 6 months, i like synology due to the resilliancy from ransomware. I was looking towards DS920+ but interested in more info on the DS923+. Generally only stream 1080p currently possibly a 4k or 8k streaming in the future, mostly single streams to one device currently at most 3 streams at a time. Will the DS420 or DS418 be a better suited NAS? I want to be able to upgrade HDDs as i go so i was looking at SHR for a raid 5 configuration. Ill buy HHD over time. Can i use my current USB Portable HDD to fill the device if i disassemble them and plug them in?
If you only stream those videos locally to your TV then any NAS will support this. If you also want the access to your videos remotely, then you need a graphics chip built inside. DS923+ do not have this. But ds920+ comes with a transcoding engine and all sorts of other functionality.
DS418 is a budget option NAS that still features this graphics chip (just like more expensive ds920+). It does not have few extras like snapshots and virtualization functionality.
If you need few defences against ransomware, Synology is promising features to protect you in DSM 7.2. You will also need snapshots function for this. This is why I recommend ds920+.

I hope this helps.