Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mirroring/Back-Up to an expansion Unit

I have a DS1520 with 5x16TB (in SHR) and was gifted a DX517 which I also added 5x16TB (in SHR). I have storage pool/volume 1 on main unit and wanted to use the DX517 storage pool/volume as a full incremental back-up destination so whenever I make file/folder changes on the 1520 this updates the 517 back up.
My questions:
1. Can you Back-up to a second pool/volume on a DX unit?
2. Which is the best software/package solution for the incremental back-up option?
Yes, you can set up automated incremental backups to your expansion / second volume. You can do that using Hyper backup app from Synology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Retrqnr9eM&t=1215s

Hyper Backup allows you to back up various kinds of data (system configurations, shared folders, and applications/packages) on your Synology NAS, manually or by schedule. You can store the backup data in local shared folders, remote servers, and public clouds. With Hyper Backup, each backup task can retain multiple backup versions, and automatic rotation will be performed by deleting the oldest backup version or by following the Smart Recycle or customized retention policy, depending on your configuration.

Block-level Incremental Backup
Hyper Backup features block-level incremental backup to back up only the modified/added data chunks of a file after first-time backup, rather than the whole file. It can significantly reduce storage usage, outperforming file-level incremental backup adopted by traditional backup solutions and some other NAS backup services.