Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for 4K and Virtualisation

Hi Robbie,

Thank you for your review videos they are very informative and straight to the point.

I am looking for a desktop NAS for the following use cases:

- Watch 4K films streamed to AppleTV, Iphones, Ipads (I have a SSL based VPN into my home network in the event I would like to stream over the public Internet when I am out)
- Backup Iphone videos and pictures
- Host Virtual Machine with Steam running on those VMs to be able to play games remotely
- Host Virtual Machines for work testing (Active Directory Domain Controller, Network Access Control servers etc.)
- Games will be streamed via Steam play (there is an app on AppleTV which lets you stream from any Steam machine)

My current LAN is:

- Cisco Meraki full stack, firewalls, switches and WiFi 6 APs

My thinking is to purchase QNAP TVS-872XT-i7-16G, starting with 1x 16TB disk and no GPU in the PCI slot. Then in next year spend some money to fill in additional hard drive bays, more RAM and procure dedicated GPU to run more advanced games.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Alek
Yes, this is a right choice. You can also consider Qnap 88X or x74 series NAS. These will be powerful enough to transcode 4K.
Also when you decide to upgrade GPU card, this will take it to a next level. You can use time withing virtual machines if you need to do gaming.
Remote access to the VM might not have the same FPS as you would expect from a directly connected monitor. But this is what you get for convenience.

I hope this helps.