Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS. PLEX and 4K Playback

Hi Guys,

Love your videos and they are so helpful. That being said I have a question.

I am building a new house and will be putting CAT 6 cable throughout the house. I would like to set up a NAS system that will allow me to play backed up native 4K movies from a NAS to my 4K OLED tv (Ethernet port & wiFi 6 available) and sound from Denon AVC-X4700H receiver. The NAS will also be used for Data backup, photo/video storage. I will be a sole user of the NAS so wont be any multiple uses needing to use the system at once.

My Network will consist of a Ubiquiti Dream Machine SE and FS Network Switch (S3150-8T2FP, 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet L2+ PoE+ Switch, 8 x PoE+ Ports@130W, with 2 x 1Gb SFP, Fanless)

Is a HDMI out on a NAS required to play back native 4k smoothly or can this be done via the LAN?

Can you recommend a NAS that will allow me to do all of this OR is this a case of wanting to have my cake and eat it too?

Thank in advance and looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
- Lang
Yes, streaming 4K via LAN is much easier. NAS brands do not maintain their HDMI players. They are old and buggy.
Since you wire your house with CAT6 cables, you may benefit from Qnap TS-464 NAS. It has 2.5gbe and 10gbe upgrade option. It also has HDMI if you need it.
If you think you may access 4k PLEX remotely, you may consider TVS-473A/ 673A with GPU card installed. This would take care of Plex. And there is a slot for 10gbe.

I hope this helps.